KDE/kdelibs/kdeui/kernel

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 11 20:41:23 BST 2010

On Tuesday 10 August 2010 23:11:16 John Layt wrote:
> On Monday 09 August 2010 22:32:15 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 09.08.10 22:16:22, John Layt wrote:
> > > I'm currently missing Alt-tab using openSuse 11.3 packages for SC 4.5
> > > so I'm guessing they backported it?
> >
> > You can find out by keeping both Alt+Tab pressed down, after a few
> > seconds the tabbox will come up (or your desktop-effect will start) if
> > they indeed backported the kapplication change.
>
> Yep,holding down Alt-Tab the desktop effect Cover Flow kicks in, switches
> through a few windows, then Kwin crashes, restarts, and Xorg goes to 50%
> and I have to log out to get a responsive desktop back :-(  Damn Nvidia...

Ah, apologies to the lizard wranglers, I got caught out by the repo switch for
4.5 and so was running trunk instead.  Reverted to 4.5 and all is good again.
I can't reproduce the Kwin crash anymore, but compositing will switch itself
off instead due to lack or resources.  And I can't use blur or translucency,
so Nvidia still sucks :-)

> > > I'm also finding that pressing enter in krunner
> > > often doesn't work which might be related, but could just be krunner
> > > being flaky.
> >
> > I've also noticed that, but I think I also had that from time to time
> > before the kdelibs, especially if I type a full executable and quickly
> > hit enter. It seems that krunner first waits for all runners to return
> > before it even tries to execute the first one.
>
> Nope, I wait for the first option to appear and press enter and it often
> doesn't work, I have to click to get a response.

This still happens, so it looks to be a different bug.  It appears to be if I
type in a partial app name and it exactly matches a previous partial app name
I entered (i.e. the ghost text that appears as I type), then it takes 2 enter
presses, but if it's a new partial or is a complete match for the app name
then only one enter is required.

For example, when typing in dolphin, after typing 'do' I get a ghost for
'dolp'.  If I complete typing 'dolp' or use the right arrow to complete it,
then I have to press enter twice.  If I only enter 'dol' or enter 'dolphin'
then only 1 enter is required.

bko time :-)

John.