KDE printing development resources (maintainership, mailing lists etc.)

dantti85-dev at yahoo.com.br dantti85-dev at yahoo.com.br
Sun Apr 18 03:47:32 BST 2010

Hi,
I did not know that there was (at least a little activity),
in Kde-print but I would like to be able to update
that page.

Some of you know that I'm working on a from
scratch print-manager to replace the python
verisions which has several issues
(including very few activities). The code
already works quite well but now that I decided
to not block UI and use threads I'm having
some problems. That's why if I could be able
to update the printing.kde.org it would be very
nice.

Best, ________________________________
Daniel Nicoletti - KDE Developer
http://dantti.wordpress.com
When a wicked man dies, his hope perishes;
all he expected from his power comes to nothing. Prov. 11:7

>Hello
>
>Some very long time ago Michael Goffioul, the
> creator of the KDE-print
infrastructure and software in KDE-SC-2,3, asked
> for a replacement maintainer
and, after a year of fruitless waiting on his
> part, I took over. That meant:
- kdelibs-kdeprint and kdebase-kdeprint code
> maintainership,
- printing related bug reports management
- keeping up the
-
> ymailto="mailto:kde-print at kde.org"
> administration
- and
> >http://printing.kde.org web site responsibility.

During my
> active time, I did very little maintainership (keeping it to bug
fixes and
> bug report management and mailing list activity). I worked on
maintaining
> links with the larger printing community. I created the kde-print-
devel
> maling list (which has almost no activity presently).

I failed to reserve
> time for this aspect of my KDE involvement and I failed to
pursue the
> passage of the KDE printing infrastructure to KDE4. As a
consequence, in the
> last 2 years, my implication with KDE printing was
naturally reduced to spam
> control on the mailing lists. The code was moved out
of the main line and I
> believe it is due to disappear. My presence in the
larger printing community
> also waned after 2008.

I therefore state here that I think there is no
> more point in me staying with
the matter and I would be relieved to see this
> chapter closed.

I believe this would mean:
- somebody to take over
> whatever little activity remained

OR

- closing the kde-print and
> kde-print-devel mailing lists
- closing (or marking as inactive) the
> printing.kde.org site
- locking down the printing products in the bug
> reporting system

As I don't have the technical, administrative and moral
> powers to do this by
myself, I open the subject for discussion and eventual
> resolution.

Thank you for your attention.

--
Cristian