Display brightness OSD notification

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Apr 9 11:21:23 BST 2010

On Friday 09 April 2010 10:23:05 David Jarvie wrote:
> On Thu, April 8, 2010 2:25 pm, Felix Geyer wrote:
> > I'm proposing a patch that addresses these issues:
> > - KDE doesn't provide an OSD notification when the user changes the
> > display brightness.

Cool stuff :)

> Is this really useful? There is already feedback when changing the
> brightness setting (i.e. the screen brightness changes). I'd rather not
> have an OSD notification popping up and hiding stuff unless it's really
> useful/necessary.

There's only an indication that brightness is changing, but not at what level it
is. The latter is very useful for the following cases:

- laptop panel needs warming up, I often resume my notebook, and then turn up the
  brightness (often just to see that it's already at max, but the panel needs
  warming up and is still relatively dark)

- when you try to set the brightness higher than the max or lower than the min,
  there's no feedback why it doesn't work

If the timeout is short enough, covering information should not be a problem.

I'll have a look at the patch (from a quick glance, it looks good, but I haven't
tested it yet).
--
sebas