qt-copy (or kde-qt) patches cleanup

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Sep 30 22:43:08 BST 2009

A Dimecres, 30 de setembre de 2009, Olivier Goffart va escriure:
> Le Wednesday 30 September 2009, Albert Astals Cid a écrit :
> > >  * 0289-context-for-shortcuts-tr
> > > http://qt.gitorious.org/+kde-developers/qt/kde-qt/commit/9eb3560cfd5cd0
> > >bc
> > >
> > >  Add context to tr calls in QShortcut
> > >
> > > I haven't seen any merge request on that. Albert, please do one.
> >
> > I made a merge request, Ossi rejected it and i closed it
>
> Why has it been rejected?  And in that case why should we keep it in
>  kde-qt?

ossi told me i should use the new and shiny and KDE incompatible way of adding
comments. Of course i win nothing by adding comments that way since i want the
fix in KDE. We should keep it in KDE because it fixes a valid use problem we
have. That or either someone convinces ossi to accept my patch

> > > Anyway, as it changes the strings it is too late for Qt 4.6
> > >
> > > We probably can keep it in KDE for Qt 4.6 assuming we do our own
> > >  translations of Qt.
> >
> > We do our own translations of Qt, yes, but if the shipped version is not
> >  KDE one the patch won't work.
>
> Yes,  but using the kde translation with the upstream Qt will not be a
> problem.

Yes it will be a problem, that string will be untranslated because the
(context, string) pair don't match in the kde translation file and in the Qt
compile code.

> Using the upstream translation with the patched Qt however will cause the
> string not to be translated, and this is AFAIK the case of all pure Qt
> applications.  (correct me if i'm wrong)

Same problem but in the other direction, and KDE has more translations to Qt
that Qt itself so i prefer KDE winning (i'm a bit biased though).

> > > About translations of Qt, this is another point that is not clear to
> > > me. Do KDE has its own translations of Qt?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > Why the translations doesn't go upstreams?
> >
> > Two reasons:
> >  * We use .po translations, you do not.
> >  * We accept LGPL translations, you do not.
> >
> > We can discuss about this if you want, it is obvious *you* would benefit
> > tremendously from the KDE translators, but i'm not sure we can reach an
> > agreement. I'm on IRC so if you feel like chatting, just /query me
>
> I know very few about translations, and even less about legal.
> I'll ask our (qt) legal for a possible cooperation on this.

Albert