qt-copy (or kde-qt) patches cleanup

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Wed Sep 30 22:22:47 BST 2009

Le Wednesday 30 September 2009, Albert Astals Cid a écrit :
> >  * 0289-context-for-shortcuts-tr
> > http://qt.gitorious.org/+kde-developers/qt/kde-qt/commit/9eb3560cfd5cd0bc
> >
> >  Add context to tr calls in QShortcut
> >
> > I haven't seen any merge request on that. Albert, please do one.
>
> I made a merge request, Ossi rejected it and i closed it

Why has it been rejected?  And in that case why should we keep it in kde-qt?

> > Anyway, as it changes the strings it is too late for Qt 4.6
> >
> > We probably can keep it in KDE for Qt 4.6 assuming we do our own
> >  translations of Qt.
>
> We do our own translations of Qt, yes, but if the shipped version is not
>  KDE one the patch won't work.

Yes,  but using the kde translation with the upstream Qt will not be a
problem.
Using the upstream translation with the patched Qt however will cause the
string not to be translated, and this is AFAIK the case of all pure Qt
applications.  (correct me if i'm wrong)

> > About translations of Qt, this is another point that is not clear to me.
> > Do KDE has its own translations of Qt?
> Yes.
> > Why the translations doesn't go upstreams?
>
> Two reasons:
>  * We use .po translations, you do not.
>  * We accept LGPL translations, you do not.
>
> We can discuss about this if you want, it is obvious *you* would benefit
> tremendously from the KDE translators, but i'm not sure we can reach an
> agreement. I'm on IRC so if you feel like chatting, just /query me

I know very few about translations, and even less about legal.
I'll ask our (qt) legal for a possible cooperation on this.

--
Gof