Mountable devices support in KDE

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 22:34:02 BST 2009

2009/9/18 David Faure <faure at kde.org>:
> On Thursday 17 September 2009, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>> 2009/9/14 David Faure <faure at kde.org>:
>> > +        if (KDesktopFile::isDesktopFile(path)) {
>>
>> It only checks if file name matches *.desktop. And KDE generates
>> desktop files without .desktop in name.
>
> Really? Where do we do that?

I'm quite sure following way generates desktop device file without
".desktop" at end:
1) RMB on Desktop
2) Create new
3) Hard drive
I took names from head, but you should get that.

>> > +            if (mp) {
>> > +                return path;
>> > +            }
>>
>> We expect deviceForUrl(...) to return device (/dev/...) not path
>> (/home/x/Desktop/harddrive).
>
> The variable "path", in the "else" block of that method was the device, not
> the mountpoint ;)
> Proof: findByDevice(path) one line above.

Ups, indeed.

>> One question:
>> It's very important IMO to backport this (un)mount work to KDE 4.3.
>> This KDE is used by openSUSE 11.2 (and KUbuntu 9.10 I guess) so
>> hopefully they will still able to update it and provide working
>> (un)mount for they distros.
>
> New feature -> no go for 4.3.x.
> Sorry but this is "only" about kio_sysinfo, which is in playground...
> There are other ways to unmount already (e.g. the plasma device list thingie).

Well, the problem that tool that is "only" in playground, is actually
widely used by openSUSE's users. But OK, I'll workaround this in
kio_sysinfo somehow :)

Thanks for your help guys. It's really nice to participate in project
with so many kind ppl you can meet everywhere :)

--
Rafał