Mountable devices support in KDE

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Sep 8 19:11:36 BST 2009

On Tuesday 08 September 2009, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> 2009/9/8 Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org>:

> >> I know, I've meant creating something like that. Or maybe just
> >> detecting KUrl starting from media:/ in konq's popupMen? Without real
> >> implementing that protocol?
> >
> > There's likely a solid device behind those mount points. So if you want
> > to do some url tricks, you could craft a URL scheme passing the solid
> > device identifier. Then the popup menu would decode it and use solid to
> > do the mounting or unmounting.
>
> What scheme do you suggest? Do you think
> solid:/id
> will be fine?

Hmm, not sure.
Just a comment: one thing I didn't like in KDE3 about the media (or system ?)
ioslave was that while you were able to mount devices and navigate them with
KDE programs, it wasn't obvious what their real path in the file system was,
so at least I never knew where they were mounted (and then did a "mount" in a
terminal to actually see it).

If what you want to do leads to a similar situation this would not be ideal
IMO.

Alex