situation with window decorations

Hugo Pereira Da Costa hugo.pereira at free.fr
Fri Sep 4 23:32:36 BST 2009

Fredrik Höglund wrote:
> On Monday 31 August 2009, Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:
>
>> - size grip and no-border: I don't like the use of 'ugly'. This is a
>> subjective statement, and I don't find it very constructive I think. I
>> like "I don't like the size grip" rather than "the size grip is ugly".
>> In fact: bespin has a size grip too; some user on kde-look commented
>> that they _really_ liked the "no-border + size grip" option; and
>> finally, I got the idea from another famous (and quite polished) OS
>> which implements just the same (and I really like their version of xterm
>> with no border and a size-grip). I'd really like to keep it, (now that
>> it is working well, as far as I can tell). I agree that the appearance
>> of the size grip could be made better though, and that it conflicts with
>> the status bar of some applications (amarok, kopete, konqueror, to name
>> a few). This can be overcome by leaving some extra space free on the
>> right side of the title bar  (I did that for some private applications),
>> and could even be implemented in the oxygen style directly.
>>

> In my opinion the size grip implementation doesn't belong in
> the KWin styles, but in KWin itself.
>
> If it's implemented directly in KWin it could be available as a
> global option that would work with all styles without any code
> duplication, and without the somewhat fragile hack Nitrogen
> uses that relies on KWin internals.

Hi,

which kwin internals does the size grip rely on ? the size grip
actually works on both compiz and kwin, and uses X11 (namely
XReparentWindow). But maybe I missed the point.

On the other hand, I agree that the size grip would be better part of
kwin, although its really relevant for No-Border decorations, and many
decorations don't support that.

Whether the style or the windeco should be responsible for painting it I
have no objection
(I actually like Thomas idea to make it invisible.)