situation with window decorations

Fredrik Höglund fredrik at kde.org
Fri Sep 4 21:21:28 BST 2009

On Monday 31 August 2009, Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:
> - size grip and no-border: I don't like the use of 'ugly'. This is a
> subjective statement, and I don't find it very constructive I think. I
> like "I don't like the size grip" rather than "the size grip is ugly".
> In fact: bespin has a size grip too; some user on kde-look commented
> that they _really_ liked the "no-border + size grip" option; and
> finally, I got the idea from another famous (and quite polished) OS
> which implements just the same (and I really like their version of xterm
> with no border and a size-grip). I'd really like to keep it, (now that
> it is working well, as far as I can tell). I agree that the appearance
> of the size grip could be made better though, and that it conflicts with
> the status bar of some applications (amarok, kopete, konqueror, to name
> a few). This can be overcome by leaving some extra space free on the
> right side of the title bar  (I did that for some private applications),
> and could even be implemented in the oxygen style directly.

In my opinion the size grip implementation doesn't belong in
the KWin styles, but in KWin itself.

If it's implemented directly in KWin it could be available as a
global option that would work with all styles without any code
duplication, and without the somewhat fragile hack Nitrogen
uses that relies on KWin internals.

It would also allow the compositing scene to draw the size
grip directly on the window, with anti-aliasing, transparency etc.

The appearance doesn't have to match the KWin theme if it's
only shown when there are no borders. It's more important that
it's generic and doesn't contrast with the widget style.

Regards,
Fredrik