PolicyKit + KDE

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Sep 2 18:38:20 BST 2009

On Wednesday 02 September 2009, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Em Quarta-feira 02 Setembro 2009, às 18:54:53, você escreveu:

> > > But it is about PolicyKit - KSysGuard uses policykit to kill processes
> > > etc, and so has to install those files.
> > >
> > > The trouble is that policy kit, by design, does not let a general
> > > program request root privileges.  Instead root has to _first_
> > > authorize that program to even request root privileges, by installing
> > > certain files into system directories.
> >
> > Would there be a principal problem if e.g. dbus could read multiple
> > config files and combine the information from them ?
>
> D-Bus does that.

So the example syntax I gave below is actually correct ?

> > Then it could be started like
> > dbus-daemon --config-file=/etc/dbus-1/system.conf
> >  --config-file=/opt/kde4/etc/dbus-1/kde-system.conf
>
> Unfortunately, the D-Bus daemon has already been started by the time
> startkde runs. So it's too late.

I don't think that's a real problem. The system can still be set up in a way
so it also honours these additional config files.
(i.e. it will be possible to install KDE with user permissions and set up dbus
in such (with root permissions later on) a way that it will use that KDE
installation correctly)

Alex