PolicyKit + KDE

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Sep 2 18:56:08 BST 2009

Em Quarta-feira 02 Setembro 2009, às 19:38:20, você escreveu:
> On Wednesday 02 September 2009, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Em Quarta-feira 02 Setembro 2009, às 18:54:53, você escreveu:
> > > Would there be a principal problem if e.g. dbus could read multiple
> > > config files and combine the information from them ?
> >
> > D-Bus does that.
>
> So the example syntax I gave below is actually correct ?

No, that was a bit too much :-)

It reads config files from XDG_DATA_DIRS / XDG_CONFIG_DIRS. For session things,
it also reads XDG_DATA_HOME / XDG_CONFIG_HOME.

Note that the environment is inherited by programs launched by D-Bus itself,
which means they also get those settings.

If the functionality is broken (because no one uses it), patches are accepted.

> > > Then it could be started like
> > > dbus-daemon --config-file=/etc/dbus-1/system.conf
> > >  --config-file=/opt/kde4/etc/dbus-1/kde-system.conf
> >
> > Unfortunately, the D-Bus daemon has already been started by the time
> > startkde runs. So it's too late.
>
> I don't think that's a real problem. The system can still be set up in a
>  way so it also honours these additional config files.
> (i.e. it will be possible to install KDE with user permissions and set up
>  dbus in such (with root permissions later on) a way that it will use that
>  KDE installation correctly)

Sure.

But that's what I was saying before: if the user told the buildsystem not to
install in the paths that the external software uses, then we have to print a
warning saying that there may be some post-install set up needed. That might
be moving the files to the appropriate places, or it might be changing the
config to also read those places.

libtool, for example, prints that warning if you install the library to
somewhere which is not searched by ld.so.

A note, however: setting up polkit or dbus-daemon to search for config files in
user-writable paths is a HUGE security risk.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Qt Developer Days 2009 | Registration Now Open!
Munich, Germany: Oct 12 - 14     San Francisco, California: Nov 2 - 4
      http://qt.nokia.com/qtdevdays2009