PolicyKit + KDE

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Sep 2 18:24:30 BST 2009

Em Quarta-feira 02 Setembro 2009, às 18:54:53, você escreveu:
> On Wednesday 02 September 2009, John Tapsell wrote:
> > >
> > > Please note that the problem isn't PolicyKit.
> >
> > But it is about PolicyKit - KSysGuard uses policykit to kill processes
> > etc, and so has to install those files.
> >
> > The trouble is that policy kit, by design, does not let a general
> > program request root privileges.  Instead root has to _first_
> > authorize that program to even request root privileges, by installing
> > certain files into system directories.
>
> Would there be a principal problem if e.g. dbus could read multiple config
> files and combine the information from them ?

D-Bus does that.

> Then it could be started like
> dbus-daemon --config-file=/etc/dbus-1/system.conf
>  --config-file=/opt/kde4/etc/dbus-1/kde-system.conf

Unfortunately, the D-Bus daemon has already been started by the time startkde
runs. So it's too late.

> etc. It should be also possible to list the config file in an env. var.
> I don't see a problem there, since there is no way a user can influence the
> way how dbus-daemon is started, neither via command line arguments nor via
>  an env. var.

Correct, but unfortunately neither can KDE.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Qt Developer Days 2009 | Registration Now Open!
Munich, Germany: Oct 12 - 14     San Francisco, California: Nov 2 - 4
      http://qt.nokia.com/qtdevdays2009