PolicyKit + KDE

John Tapsell johnflux at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 08:01:27 BST 2009

2009/9/2 Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org>:
> Em Quarta-feira 2. Setembro 2009, às 02.09.15, Matthew Woehlke escreveu:
>> That said, I guess I don't understand how PK works that this is even
>> needed. If PK says "user may edit <certain things>", why does it matter
>> if the user does that via package from packaged KDE, /bin/vi, or some
>> cobbled-together C program they just compiled? Since you are talking
>> about installing policy files I must guess that this is not how PK works?
>
> Please note that the problem isn't PolicyKit.

But it is about PolicyKit - KSysGuard uses policykit to kill processes
etc, and so has to install those files.

The trouble is that policy kit, by design, does not let a general
program request root privileges.  Instead root has to _first_
authorize that program to even request root privileges, by installing
certain files into system directories.

John