FF vs Konq (was: kdewebkit moved to kdereview)

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 05:35:58 GMT 2009

On October 26, 2009 17:31:53 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Marco Martin wrote:
> > right now even most of kde developers are using firefox, because there
> > are many many sites that with khtml simply won't work.
>
> Actually I've started using a mix. Why? Because FF's session management
> is both a blessing and a curse. It is a blessing because konq doesn't do
> very well being restarted and picking up all my tabs across all windows.

hmm. it's done fairly well at that for me... although it's not perfect...
breaking kio I just take as one of the inevitable bothers of running trunk :)

> Konq with *real* session management (and that means ability to shift
> windows between multiple active sessions, as well as reliable session
> save/restore on exit or in the event of a crash) would rock my world. Of
> course SM should ideally be done as desktop-wide as possible, not
> limited to the browser. I guess this is sort of what Plasma "activities"
> are supposed to do, but I can't say I've seen the 5ยข tutorial on "How to
> Make Activities Work for You".

oh yes. we have plans on how to make activities work... :) I hope we'll start
seeing some bits of that soon. it'll probably be spread over 4.4 and 4.5,
though, seeing as hard freeze is only a month away, and it's a mix of plasma,
nepomuk and kwin.

> As a start, it would be nice if Konq learned from FF to tell me what it
> wants to restore when it thinks it finds a crashed session. (As it
> happens, any time I run konq when it is already running on a different X
> server, it thinks it found a crashed session; if I choose to restore
> said session, it is almost always the tabs from a konq that is still
> running healthy on another X server.)

mm, good idea. I never really know what konq is going to restore; sometimes
it's the windows I'm missing, sometimes it's a clone of some I've already got
running. sometimes I get >1 restore dialog on login, even.

> As for compatability... KHTML doesn't play so nice with Review Board.
> Other than that, it generally works IME. However Konqueror is also
> lacking NoScript and Stylish (plugins).

huh. rb is one of that sites that's actually put some work into not breaking
khtml. worksforme :)

the only thing I can't figure out right now is ad blocking in konq. :/ there's
some sort of adblocker filter with zero rules, which doesn't seem very
useful....
although I just enabled it anyways, and despite looking like it was going to
do absolutely nothing, ads have gone away. huh.

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com