kdewebkit moved to kdereview

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Oct 25 21:41:56 GMT 2009

Em Domingo 25. Outubro 2009, às 21.08.13, Albert Astals Cid escreveu:
> A Diumenge, 25 d'octubre de 2009, Albert Astals Cid va escriure:
> > A Diumenge, 25 d'octubre de 2009, Urs Wolfer va escriure:

> > > Many distributions create packages for the WebKit KPart. That's why I
> > > do not want to depenend on kdelibs trunk and kdereview parts. It would
> > > only introduce additional complexity.
> >
> > That's not what i asked, what i asked is why this code should go to
> >  kdelibs, what does it give over the technologies we already have there?
>
> Ok, let me say it in different words for it to be clear since some people
>  do not want to understand.
>
> kdelibs has KHTML, we don't need webkit at all.

That's oversimplifying things. KHTML is great, but it's also behind WebKit in
many of the recent technologies.

> The problem is that Nokians agenda is kill KHTML in favor of QtWebkit.

And what would be the harm if it happened? If we had a more powerful engine,
that has a bigger community maintaining it, that websites actually test, would
it be such a great loss?

Loss of control? Fork it like everyone else does for their own releases. But
upstream the changes later, like everyone else does.

Besides, QtWebKit is already preloaded into every kdeinit application anyway,
including Konqueror.

That said, I don't think the webkitpart is ready for review state. It's not
feature-complete yet.

> I only want to remind you the fiasco (Can't print in okular. can't do
>  poster printing. why i can't print only odd pages?) of the killing of
>  KDEPrint by forcing QPrinter on us that never got fixed and we are still
>  suffering the consequences by asking us to rewrite what we already had
>  working.

And I'll remind you of the state that KDE Print was before: it had been
unmaintained for years. It had lots of CUPS-specific code that was hard to
maintain.

During the KDE 4 port, it was mostly left untouched, aside from the occasional
"qt3support--" commits.

Now, John Layt has been working on improving the situation. But he hasn't
finished yet. In fact, he hasn't submitted a single patch for review. The
printer maintainers in the office don't even know he's doing anything.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358