Removing the (outdated and unmaintained) Energy KCM

Darío Andrés andresbajotierra at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 16:01:01 BST 2009

2009/10/13 Dario Freddi <drf54321 at gmail.com>:
> Hello there,
>
> On Monday 12 October 2009 22:06:58 Darío Andrés wrote:
>> Hi everyone:
>>
>> I just wanted to know if we could finally remove the old and
>> unmaintained Energy KCM (System Settings-Display-Power Control) as the
>> PowerDevil module and KCM now handle this (in different profiles) and
>> it is more feature-wise.
>
> Coincidence, I was talking about this with Oswald a pair of days ago :) We
> were quite in favor of this, and I have always strived to clear it out
>

>> The only thing I'm not sure about is if PowerDevil can handle power
>> management on Desktop PCs (as I don't use a Desktop PC for KDE, and I
>> associate "powerdevil" with "notebook"). If Dario Freddi could confirm
>> that fact, should we proceed removing the old module ?
>
> PowerDevil used to deactivate itself when no battery was found, this however
> is no longer true. Moreover, DPMS handling is not driven by KDE or whatever,
> but by the DPMS extension of the X server itself. So yes, PowerDevil would
> work cool on desktops for this kind of usage
>

>> - Am I missing any other step before doing this ? - According to
>> lxr.kde.org there seems to be a file using the configuration that the
>> Energy KCM sets... ("DisplayEnergy" on "kcmdisplayrc") :
>> http://lxr.kde.org/source/playground/utils/lithium/lithium.cpp . Is
>> that code still used ?
>
> That code could be changed to read the configuration right from PowerDevil, in
> this case.

Nice to hear that PowerDevil works on Desktop PCs and that the
code/utils depending on the energy kcm config can be migrated to use
PowerDevil.
So, the question is, what is the next step ? Besides removing the
"energy" folder from kdebase/workspace/kcontrol; should we implement
some other kind of configuration migration? should we modify some
other workspace default option to set PowerDevil as the main power
manager ?

Regards