Removing the (outdated and unmaintained) Energy KCM

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 07:47:32 BST 2009

Hello there,

On Monday 12 October 2009 22:06:58 Darío Andrés wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I just wanted to know if we could finally remove the old and
> unmaintained Energy KCM (System Settings-Display-Power Control) as the
> PowerDevil module and KCM now handle this (in different profiles) and
> it is more feature-wise.

Coincidence, I was talking about this with Oswald a pair of days ago :) We
were quite in favor of this, and I have always strived to clear it out

> The only thing I'm not sure about is if PowerDevil can handle power
> management on Desktop PCs (as I don't use a Desktop PC for KDE, and I
> associate "powerdevil" with "notebook"). If Dario Freddi could confirm
> that fact, should we proceed removing the old module ?

PowerDevil used to deactivate itself when no battery was found, this however
is no longer true. Moreover, DPMS handling is not driven by KDE or whatever,
but by the DPMS extension of the X server itself. So yes, PowerDevil would
work cool on desktops for this kind of usage

> - Am I missing any other step before doing this ? - According to
> lxr.kde.org there seems to be a file using the configuration that the
> Energy KCM sets... ("DisplayEnergy" on "kcmdisplayrc") :
> http://lxr.kde.org/source/playground/utils/lithium/lithium.cpp . Is
> that code still used ?

That code could be changed to read the configuration right from PowerDevil, in
this case.

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer