RFC: System Settings categorisation overhaul

Shaun Reich predator106 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 15:54:21 BST 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Parker Coates <parker.coates at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 02:50, Ben Cooksley wrote:
>> Dario Andres ( from bugsquad ) and myself have been working on this
>> and have developed the following plan at this time for the modules
>> [1]. Please see the following mockup to see how this would look [2].
>> This is aimed at KDE 4.4 at this point, and we hope to commit it next
>> week assuming no changes need to be made. We would appreciate
>> everyone's comments on this.
>
> I think we should drop the word "Look" and replace it with
> "Appearance". Yes, it's longer, but as a native English speaker I find
> the use of  "look" as a noun to be a bit awkward. Yes, "look" can be
> used this way, but it generally implies appearance in the context of
> personal fashion or style. I feel "Appearance" is more direct.
>
> I agree with others that the "International" is a bad name. People
> rarely set up PCs for users in other countries, they set them up for
> local users. "International" could also be interpreted as being a bit
> US centric, implying that if you don't match the defaults, you're
> foreign and weird. :)
>
> Anyway, I very much think this is a step in the right direction. The
> advanced tab always bothered me. Good work.
>
> Parker

I agree, seeing the word "look" in some of those categories makes it
sound kinda non-english. Especially "Applications Look" ("look? look
where?", it initially seems like a verb, until you realize it doesn't
make sense.

Glad that this is having some spring(well..fall) cleaning done upon it.

+1 on the optical/removable devices being confusing, as there are also
external optical drives. So that *really* throws a wrench into the
naming scheme.

But then what for the case of people who do not know that their
optical devices can even be "removed", I don't think I would consider
my CD/DVD drive a removable device..as removable device tends to imply
some form of plug and play, which mine is far from it (IDE and in a
desktop :P ). Is that clear to most people, or is there a better form?

--
KDE Developer,
Shaun Reich