RFC: System Settings categorisation overhaul

Gary L. Greene, Jr. greeneg at tolharadys.net
Sun Oct 4 02:11:00 BST 2009

On Saturday 03 October 2009 7:54:21 am Shaun Reich wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Parker Coates <parker.coates at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 02:50, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> >> Dario Andres ( from bugsquad ) and myself have been working on this
> >> and have developed the following plan at this time for the modules
> >> [1]. Please see the following mockup to see how this would look [2].
> >> This is aimed at KDE 4.4 at this point, and we hope to commit it next
> >> week assuming no changes need to be made. We would appreciate
> >> everyone's comments on this.
> >
> > I think we should drop the word "Look" and replace it with
> > "Appearance". Yes, it's longer, but as a native English speaker I find
> > the use of  "look" as a noun to be a bit awkward. Yes, "look" can be
> > used this way, but it generally implies appearance in the context of
> > personal fashion or style. I feel "Appearance" is more direct.
> >
> > I agree with others that the "International" is a bad name. People
> > rarely set up PCs for users in other countries, they set them up for
> > local users. "International" could also be interpreted as being a bit
> > US centric, implying that if you don't match the defaults, you're
> > foreign and weird. :)
> >
> > Anyway, I very much think this is a step in the right direction. The
> > advanced tab always bothered me. Good work.
> >
> > Parker
>
> I agree, seeing the word "look" in some of those categories makes it
> sound kinda non-english. Especially "Applications Look" ("look? look
> where?", it initially seems like a verb, until you realize it doesn't
> make sense.
>
> Glad that this is having some spring(well..fall) cleaning done upon it.
>
> +1 on the optical/removable devices being confusing, as there are also
> external optical drives. So that *really* throws a wrench into the
> naming scheme.
>
> But then what for the case of people who do not know that their
> optical devices can even be "removed", I don't think I would consider
> my CD/DVD drive a removable device..as removable device tends to imply
> some form of plug and play, which mine is far from it (IDE and in a
> desktop :P ). Is that clear to most people, or is there a better form?

This is why we should likely use the tried at true: "Removable Storage", and
"Removable Peripherals". Optical discs and pen drives both are removable
storage, and BOTH have actions that can be applied to them. The main
difference is that optical discs have the added CDDB and CD KIO slave
configurations.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: skuld