RFC: System Settings categorisation overhaul

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 15:00:07 BST 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 02:50, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Dario Andres ( from bugsquad ) and myself have been working on this
> and have developed the following plan at this time for the modules
> [1]. Please see the following mockup to see how this would look [2].
> This is aimed at KDE 4.4 at this point, and we hope to commit it next
> week assuming no changes need to be made. We would appreciate
> everyone's comments on this.

I think we should drop the word "Look" and replace it with
"Appearance". Yes, it's longer, but as a native English speaker I find
the use of  "look" as a noun to be a bit awkward. Yes, "look" can be
used this way, but it generally implies appearance in the context of
personal fashion or style. I feel "Appearance" is more direct.

I agree with others that the "International" is a bad name. People
rarely set up PCs for users in other countries, they set them up for
local users. "International" could also be interpreted as being a bit
US centric, implying that if you don't match the defaults, you're
foreign and weird. :)

Anyway, I very much think this is a step in the right direction. The
advanced tab always bothered me. Good work.

Parker