Important: BC break in Qt 4.6 against previous 4.6

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Nov 13 16:00:45 GMT 2009

I posted a blog about this yesterday, but since no one is mandated to read
blogs, I'm reposting here for more information.

Qt change e83bb2fdfc2dc899526c8157fd8b77a68cdde9da introduces a Binary
Incompatible change in Qt 4.6 when compared to previous Qt 4.6 code.

This does NOT affect code compiled against Qt 4.5, so Qt's binary compatibility
promise is NOT affected. This only affects you if you used a pre-release version
of Qt 4.6.

Qt does not follow "binary incompatible Mondays", so be aware if you're
following the 4.6 or 4.6-stable branch. I will respect the Monday rule when
updating kde-qt's 4.6-stable-patched branch.

The change current IS in the 4.6 branch, but IS NOT in 4.6-stable (so it's not
in kde-qt's 4.6-stable-patched or master branches). Whenever 4.6-stable and
4.6-stable-patched update again, this change will be present.

I will not post again about this issue. You just need to pay attention to your
Qt builds: if you're following 4.6-stable or 4.6-stable-patched and you see
updates, you MUST recompile all of KDE from scratch, including a make clean or
a kdesvn-build --refresh-build.

Note that this change WILL be included in Qt 4.6.0 RC1, which may or may not
happen before the next update to 4.6-stable. That branch depends on the
automatic tests passing, which currently aren't working due to other reasons,
like Symbian's build system failing to build QtWebKit due to the command-line
being too long, or general MinGW instability.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358