Deactivate MALLOC_CHECK_ on x86_64

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Nov 13 21:24:18 GMT 2009

On 13.11.09 15:11:57, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> Hi
> Seems that MALLOC_CHECK_ feature of glibc is kind of broken in x86_64, giving
> false positives. In release mode this has no effect to the user, just when
> you're running KDE in development mode, MALLOC_CHECK_ will be set at 2, which
> means that malloc will abort the application when one of that false given
> errors happen.
>
> So I suggest to deactivate MALLOC_CHECK_ on 64 bits systems, at least until it
> gets fixed.
>
> Some applications that usually crash on my system are:
> - digikam (I'm in digikam sprint right now and I've asked gilles and he
> agrees)
> - kdevelop (I'm with apol here and he's concerned about this issue too).
>
> Everybody agrees with that?

This is already done in release packages (and afaik also stable branch)
via startkde. In trunk IMHO it should be staying at 2 as it might also
point out real problems. People compiling trunk should be able to set it
according to their needs themselves.

At least for KDevelop I close all thos reports as a duplicate of one
that has a complete explanation of how to work around it.

Andreas

--
You're being followed.  Cut out the hanky-panky for a few days.