kubuntu patches to kdebase

Ben Cooksley sourtooth at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 02:28:01 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Jonathan Riddell <jriddell at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Here's a quick review of the patches Kubuntu has for kdebase.
>
> The first comment on kdebase is that distros are given three packages
> compared to upstream's one, this adds unnecessary confusion.
>
> kubuntu_01_nodisplay_knetattach.diff removes knetattach from the menu
> while kubuntu_07_oxygenify_knetattach_icon.diff gives it an oxygen
> icon, knetattach is used from dolphin so there's no need for it in the
> menu.  kubuntu_03_knetattach_use_sftp.diff make it prefer sftp over fish
> but I'm told people still need fish when using old distros.  I'm quite
> tempted to commit the first two patches though.
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase-runtime/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_01_nodisplay_knetattach.diff
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase-runtime/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_07_oxygenify_knetattach_icon.diff
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase-runtime/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_03_knetattach_use_sftp.diff
>
> kubuntu_11_fix_root_only_kcms.diff I think comes from Fedora, it's
> needed for KDM.  I know policykit is the way forward but this should
> really be upstream in the mean time.

Regarding this one, System Settings in KDE 4.4 has External
Applications support, although the behaviour to this patch is slightly
different in order to be able to have categories of "external
applications".

I don't think upstreaming this one is needed in this case.
See http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/systemsettings/examples/external-application.txt?revision=1020026&view=markup
This example launches "KAppFinder", but changing the execution to
"kdesu kcmshell4 kdm" probably wouldn't be too hard ( although there
may be a language issue there )

> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase-workspace/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_11_fix_root_only_kcms.diff

<Snip>

Regards,