kubuntu patches to kdebase

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 13 02:15:18 GMT 2009

Here's a quick review of the patches Kubuntu has for kdebase.

The first comment on kdebase is that distros are given three packages
compared to upstream's one, this adds unnecessary confusion.

kubuntu_01_nodisplay_knetattach.diff removes knetattach from the menu
while kubuntu_07_oxygenify_knetattach_icon.diff gives it an oxygen
icon, knetattach is used from dolphin so there's no need for it in the
menu.  kubuntu_03_knetattach_use_sftp.diff make it prefer sftp over fish
but I'm told people still need fish when using old distros.  I'm quite
tempted to commit the first two patches though.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase-runtime/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_01_nodisplay_knetattach.diff
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase-runtime/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_07_oxygenify_knetattach_icon.diff
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase-runtime/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_03_knetattach_use_sftp.diff

kubuntu_11_fix_root_only_kcms.diff I think comes from Fedora, it's
needed for KDM.  I know policykit is the way forward but this should
really be upstream in the mean time.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase-workspace/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_11_fix_root_only_kcms.diff

kubuntu_13_startkde_set_country.diff sets the locale if KDE hasn't
already done it

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase-workspace/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_13_startkde_set_country.diff

kubuntu_60_low_disk_space.diff shows a handy warning if you're out of
disk space, it's from suse but I believe they havn't found the time to
upstream it

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase-workspace/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_60_low_disk_space.diff

kubuntu_72_remove_startkde_cruft.diff removes unused parts of
startkde related to randr, this can probably be applied.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase-workspace/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_72_remove_startkde_cruft.diff

kubuntu_101_brightness_fn_keys_and_osd.diff adds a simple on screen
display for brightness key presses, it needs patches to qt and kdelibs
though

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase-workspace/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_101_brightness_fn_keys_and_osd.diff

kubuntu_04_hide_kfind.diff removes kfind from the menu, it can be
launched from our file manager which is the best place for file
activities.
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_04_hide_kfind.diff

kubuntu_05_konsole_colour_scheme.diff sets a sensible colour scheme in
Konsole (Robert disagrees with this, but he smells).
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_05_konsole_colour_scheme.diff

kubuntu_06_simple_aboutpage.diff turns konqueror's about:konq page
into a search bar focused page.  this is because konqueror is now
primarily considered a web browser since we gained a separate file
manager app.
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_06_simple_aboutpage.diff

kubuntu_10_konq_scans_nsplugins_at_startup.diff means users can
have flash setup without having to work their way through an obscure
dialogue, adds a bit to the startup time though
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_10_konq_scans_nsplugins_at_startup.diff

kubuntu_14_dolphin_preview_on.diff switches dolphin's preview on by
default.  Why hide useful features?
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_14_dolphin_preview_on.diff

kubuntu_18_fix_systemsettings_about_me.diff fixes problems in about me
kcontrol module that were caused by limited chfn permissions, it's not
suitable for upstream as is because it does not dynamicly check if fullname can be
changed with chfn and may be linux centric
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/390396
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_18_fix_systemsettings_about_me.diff

Other patches are plasma related and I'll send those to plasma-devel,
or from trunk or notably Kubuntu specific (e.g. flash installer).

Jonathan