kubuntu patches to kdebase

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 13 10:31:16 GMT 2009

On Friday 13 November 2009 02:15:18 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> kubuntu_13_startkde_set_country.diff sets the locale if KDE hasn't
> already done it
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase-workspace/ubuntu/ann
> otate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_13_startkde_set_country.diff

I did start looking into a more sensible default choice, there was a brief
discussion a few months back.  Conclusion was we should try determine a
sensible default for the platform we are running on (including Windows and
OSX) before falling back to 'C'.

I have on my TODO list a patch to KLocale to use QLocale::system().name() as
the default if it returns a sensible value, but it's stuck in my queue behind
some other patches (roll on Git!) :-)

QString KLocale::defaultCountry()
{
    QString country;
    splitLocale( QLocale::system().name(), QString(), country, QString(),
QString() );
    if ( !QString.isEmpty() ) {
        return country;
    } else {
        return QString::fromLatin1("C");
    }
}

I'm not sure your patch would work on Windows or OSX, so this route would be
preferable?

John.