try fingerprint login using KDM

"潘卫平(Peter Pan)" wppan at redflag-linux.com
Thu Nov 12 13:40:26 GMT 2009

Hi, all

These days I've been modifying KDMFprintPlugin and KFingerManager.
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/base/kfingerprint/

KDMFprintPlugin is a KDM kgreeter plugin for login, and KFingerManager
is an application for enrollment management.

Check supported fingerprint sensor list:
http://www.reactivated.net/fprint/wiki/Supported_devices,

KDMFprintPlugin requires libusb, libfprint, pam_fprint,
while KFingerManager requires libusb, libfprint, fprintd.
see http://www.reactivated.net/fprint/wiki/Main_Page

And pam configuration needs some modification.
Modify pam (this may be different on different distributions)
- cp /etc/pam.d/kde /etc/pam.d/kde-fprintd
- add "auth  sufficient  pam_fprint.so" into "system-auth"

Two ways to try fingerprint login using KDM,
1. just choose " Authentication Method" as "Username + passwd(classic)",
then press enter, KDM trunk can handle it well now.
2. Install KDMFprintPlugin package
Modify kdm config file
- modify section [X-*-Greeter]
   add or modify PluginsLogin
   [X-*-Greeter]
   PluginsLogin = fprintd, classic, generic, winbind

- change "UseTheme=true" into "UseTheme=false", because now no proper
theme for fprint.

To try KFingerManager, install it,  systemsettings-->About
me--->Fingerprint Manager, or kcmshell4 kfingermanager.

There are also many things to do to make it better, like modify current
KDM theme management, improve ability of KFingerManager.

I hope more people can test these code, and any comments are warmly
welcomed!

Regards
--
潘卫平(Peter Pan)