Locking toolbars by default

Arno Rehn kde-devel at arnorehn.de
Wed Nov 11 21:30:04 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 11 November 2009 19:17:54 Shaun Reich wrote:
> Great, I like it.
>
> While we are on this topic, I have a few other things that I'd like to
> have addressed..
>
> I think, however, that it needs to be changed from a checkbox action,
> to a regular action. I don't think it makes much sense in it's current
> state:
>
> "[X] Unlock Toolbar Positions"
>
> and
>
> "[  ] Lock Toolbar Positions"
>
> Note that this wasn't changed with the current discussion result, as
> it's always been a checkbox action, but I think that it seems kind of
> redundant to show the status also, as the action is already saying
> (implicitly) what the status is. I feel it should just be made a
> regular action.
This is not only redundant, but the meaning is actually the same in both
cases.
"[X] Unlock Toolbar Positions" - unlocking is enabled
"[ ] Lock Toolbar Positions" - locking is disabled
So both versions actually indicate unlocked toolbars.

> Last issue, but this is more like hijacking, it does not affect me
> directly, but it's always bugged me, to think that users could be
> having this happen. Right click on the toolbar area, then mouse over
> "Icon Size", select "Default".
>
> Do you see how large the icons become? You will notice that selecting
> the "Huge" option yields no change (is equivalent in size), thus the
> default is the same, and is 48x48 pixels.
>
> Does that seem a little large of a default to anyone else? Seems a bit
> big to me, if it takes up 1/6 of the screen. Or is this truly a sane
> default, and people like that? I feel that "Large (32x32 px)" is a
> better default. But perhaps you guys have some good insight on this.
"Default" is the same as 22x22 px for me. You can change that in system
settings, iirc. Maybe you or your distribution changed what "Default" refers
to? (Or maybe I changed what it for myself and can't remember anymore ;) )

--
Arno Rehn
arno at arnorehn.de