Locking toolbars by default

Nuno Pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Wed Nov 11 21:59:29 GMT 2009

On Wednesday, 11 de November de 2009 21:30:04 Arno Rehn wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 November 2009 19:17:54 Shaun Reich wrote:
> > Great, I like it.
> >
> > While we are on this topic, I have a few other things that I'd like to
> > have addressed..
> >
> > I think, however, that it needs to be changed from a checkbox action,
> > to a regular action. I don't think it makes much sense in it's current
> > state:
> >
> > "[X] Unlock Toolbar Positions"
> >
> > and
> >
> > "[  ] Lock Toolbar Positions"
> >
> > Note that this wasn't changed with the current discussion result, as
> > it's always been a checkbox action, but I think that it seems kind of
> > redundant to show the status also, as the action is already saying
> > (implicitly) what the status is. I feel it should just be made a
> > regular action.
>
> This is not only redundant, but the meaning is actually the same in both
> cases.
> "[X] Unlock Toolbar Positions" - unlocking is enabled
> "[ ] Lock Toolbar Positions" - locking is disabled
> So both versions actually indicate unlocked toolbars.
>
> > Last issue, but this is more like hijacking, it does not affect me
> > directly, but it's always bugged me, to think that users could be
> > having this happen. Right click on the toolbar area, then mouse over
> > "Icon Size", select "Default".
> >
> > Do you see how large the icons become? You will notice that selecting
> > the "Huge" option yields no change (is equivalent in size), thus the
> > default is the same, and is 48x48 pixels.
> >
> > Does that seem a little large of a default to anyone else? Seems a bit
> > big to me, if it takes up 1/6 of the screen. Or is this truly a sane
> > default, and people like that? I feel that "Large (32x32 px)" is a
> > better default. But perhaps you guys have some good insight on this.
>
> "Default" is the same as 22x22 px for me. You can change that in system
> settings, iirc. Maybe you or your distribution changed what "Default"
>  refers to? (Or maybe I changed what it for myself and can't remember
>  anymore ;) )

defoult is I think 22x22 that apart from beeing a rely non standrd icon size
works really well for text alongside

48x48 in toolbars is better for text under and in case you really have few
icons mac 5 also looks better if they are centered and well spaced (mac way,
vary bad wen you start hading icons you need)
--
Oxygen coordinator