Renaming configuration files

Rivo Laks rivolaks at hot.ee
Wed Nov 11 18:12:35 GMT 2009

Ühel kenal päeval (kolmapäev 11 november 2009) kirjutas Lubos Lunak:
> On Wednesday 11 of November 2009, Rivo Laks wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I need to rename a configuration file. Usually it should be doable with
> > kconf_update, but I need the new name to include the computer's current
> > hostname. And as far as I can see, kconf_update doesn't let me have e.g.
> > an expression as the new filename.
> > So, any ideas on how to do this, preferably with kconf_update so that it
> > wouldn't be necessary to put this logic into the application code?
>
>  You can use Script= in the .upd file and let the script do whatever needs
>  to be done. KConf_update should still handle things like checking whether
>  the update needs to be done (but better check). See e.g. in kwin/data/.

I was under impression that the script is basically executed like this:
  cat old_file | script > new_file
where old_file and new_file are specified in the .upd file and are fixed.
Or do you mean that I should just write to an arbitrary file in the script and
then output nothing?

Rivo