Bugreporting barrier is too low with the new Dr. Konqi

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 16:11:11 GMT 2009

2009/11/2 Darío Andrés <andresbajotierra at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

> Hi. I'm going to talk as developer of part of DrKonqi (UI) and as a bug triager.
>
>> it seems like the bugreporting barrier is too low now that Dr. Konqi has a
>> of possible duplicate reports according to the backtrace information and
>> reproduction steps they supplied.
>>

> DrKonqi in KDE4.3 use the *same workflow* as the bugzilla wizard report:

I still question whether it makes sense to have the bugs sent to
bugzilla, given the time it takes to handle them. The point of Dr.
Konqui is to lower the entry to bug reporting. This creates a problem:
it lowers the entry to bug reporting.

For Amarok 1.4 we sent backtraces to a mailing list. It was handy, I
would just search the mailing list for a class to see if it had any
related crashes. I'm not sure thats the best solution, but it does
seem like a mistake to mix bugs that come from such an semi-automated
process (eg the user didn't have to sit down and decide to open up
bugs.kde.org) and normal bugs.

Bugzilla itself is also a problem, since you can't edit the bug
description so its impossible to do any real bug management. But thats
another issue. :D

Ian