KDirSelectDialog change icon size feature...

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Mar 20 16:15:40 GMT 2009

On Friday 20 March 2009, Peter Penz wrote:
> Hi Shaun,
>
> > On 3/18/09, Peter Penz <peter.penz at gmx.at> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > I'm not happy that we have now 3
> > > locations with a quite similar zooming
> > > code:
> > > - Dolphin (-> Konqueror with DolphinPart)
> > > - file dialog
> > > - dir select dialog
> > >
> > > The code in Dolphin already differs from the code in the file dialog
> > > (Dolphin has a fixed raster of zooming levels, the file
> > > dialog allows a
> > > pixelwise zooming). I'd like to get them unified before we
> > > copy the code
> > > from file dialog to another class...
>
> [...]
>
> > Yeah, I felt bad when I was duplicating all of this code, it -should-
> > be moved somewhere, but I have no idea as to where, else I would try
> > and do it.
>
> [...]
>
> > > Generally speaking I'm unsure about the need
> > > for this feature in the dir
> > > select dialog: The setting won't be
> > > remembered and why should I need to zoom
> > > directory icons?
> >
> > I wanted this feature because the tiny icon size setting for listed
> > folders is ugly, I don't like small icons, and these ones are very
> > tiny. This should showcase the before/after, clearly. I like to have
> > the freedom to change the size to whatever I want, and I like to spice
> > it up every so often, by using a different size. Plus, it is in other
> > views.... etc...
> >
> >  http://picasaweb.google.com/predator106/OtherRandomScreenies#
> >
> >  We can of course, move that around if we have to....
>
> Thanks for the screenshot. But this indicates that the real problem you try
> to solve with the icon slider is to have larger icons. So after you've
> configured once the icon size in your environment, you won't use the zoom
> slide anymore. Is this correct?

if we showed thubnails there, this could have a use. and it's consistent with
the file chooser. however, the slider is in the wrong place in this case (it
should be at the bottom for aesthetic and visual workflow reasons).

but yes, i agree with you that until there's actual useful information there
in the icons, having this always in that dialog is a bit questionable.

on the other hand, we have that icon size slider just about everywhere these
days so it's understandable why a person would expect one in that dialog as
well.

> One possible solution might be that the dir select dialog respects the icon
> size configured in the system settings (system settings -> appearance ->
> icons -> advanced). Another possibility would be to provide a context menu
> to adjust the icons size.

if it was next to the buttons, but aligned with the left edge of the treeview
and line edit, it would work a lot nicer.

it doesn't need text by the buttons either. we don't have that in dolphin or
gwenview, for instance.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se