KDirSelectDialog change icon size feature...

Shaun Reich predator106 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 22:28:27 GMT 2009

On 3/18/09, Peter Penz <peter.penz at gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi Shaun,
>
>> Hello, this is a patch that I need to get some feedback on, it is for
>> kdelibs/kfile/kdirselectdialog.cpp & .h.
>
> Would it be possible that you provide a screenshot how the KDirSelectDialog
> looks like with this patch? I fear that the slider will consume quite a lot
> vertical space...
>
> I'm not happy that we have now 3 locations with a quite similar zooming
> code:
> - Dolphin (-> Konqueror with DolphinPart)
> - file dialog
> - dir select dialog
>
> The code in Dolphin already differs from the code in the file dialog
> (Dolphin has a fixed raster of zooming levels, the file dialog allows a
> pixelwise zooming). I'd like to get them unified before we copy the code
> from file dialog to another class...
>
> Generally speaking I'm unsure about the need for this feature in the dir
> select dialog: The setting won't be remembered and why should I need to zoom
> directory icons?
>
>> I have a question, also...
>>
>> Why, in the open file dialog, do the zoom in and zoom out actions on
>> the toolbar, they have their text set to "Zoom In" and "Zoom Out", but
>> it is not shown.
>
> I did not have a look at the code but I'd consider this as bug.
>
> Best regards,
> Peter
>

>> So it looks like the intention was to have the text there, but I do
>> not know why it is not. I am referring most directly to
>> kfilewidget.cpp. So I am not sure if it does not use that (I thought
>> it did), or if it is a bug, or if it is a mistake that the text should
>> be nil.
>>
>> I added this feature because you can set the icon size in the open
>> file dialog and I want it to be a feature in this folder dialog.
>> Mostly, due in part because I do not like the default icon size, and
>> like to be able to change it to whatever I want.
>>
>> Ignore the qDebug(), it won't be a part of it...
>>
>> What do you guys think? It may be kind of sloppy still, not sure...
>>
>> --
>> Riverenter Vestri,
>> Shaun Reich

Yeah, I felt bad when I was duplicating all of this code, it -should-
be moved somewhere, but I have no idea as to where, else I would try
and do it.

 > I did not have a look at the code but I'd consider this as bug.

 But Dolphin also does not show this text does it? But then again, I
think it is more fitting to have it shown in the dialog, but in a file
manager I would think it's somewhat straight forward, and could take
up more room perhaps.

 > Generally speaking I'm unsure about the need for this feature in the dir
 > select dialog: The setting won't be remembered and why should I need to zoom
 > directory icons?

 I wanted this feature because the tiny icon size setting for listed
folders is ugly, I don't like small icons, and these ones are very
tiny. This should showcase the before/after, clearly. I like to have
the freedom to change the size to whatever I want, and I like to spice
it up every so often, by using a different size. Plus, it is in other
views.... etc...

 http://picasaweb.google.com/predator106/OtherRandomScreenies#

 We can of course, move that around if we have to....

 --
 Riverenter Vestri,
 Shaun Reich