Repositioning the KDE brand

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 14:07:10 BST 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Olivier Goffart<ogoffart at kde.org> wrote:
> Le Tuesday 23 June 2009, Cornelius Schumacher a écrit :
> [...]
>> The misconception that KDE software only runs on a KDE desktop stands as a
>> symbol for the reasons why we need to adapt our messaging to this changed
>> meaning of "KDE". The marketing and promo groups have completed a proposal
>> how to achieve that. One key element of this proposal is to retire the term
>> "K Desktop Environment", and just use "KDE". See the attached document for
>> details.
>>
>> The goal is to implement this proposal for the 4.3 release and use the
>> repositioned brand in our communication around the release accordingly.
>
> And what about the "KDE desktop"?
> You know, the integrated desktop where all the application are well integrated
> into eachother, that follows the sames guidelines and the same UI.
>
> I think this was one of the strenght of KDE.
> And I feel from the document like we don't want to market that anymore.

Yep, that's true. We won't market KDE as a desktop anymore - a desktop
is, well, a desktop, not a full set of applications build upon the
same framework following common guidelines. And even that description
doesn't cover what we make.

So we're going to market KDE as the community, and they create 3
intertwined products: the KDE platform; and build upon it the KDE
Workspace and the KDE Application suites.

In a sense, the Kool Desktop Environment branding is replaced by the
KDE workspace, which consists of what traditionally used to be the
Desktop Environment - the desktop & panels & windowmanager accompanied
by the basic applications like systemsettings and dolphin. The
platform and apps will now have a more separate place.