KIdleTime moved to kdereview

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 07:51:56 BST 2009

On Tuesday 07 July 2009 03:28:31 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dilluns 06 Juliol 2009 20:36:15, Dario Freddi va escriure:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I've just moved KIdleTime to kdereview. KIdleTime is a library that lets
> > developers easily play with user idle time. It provides a nice API, that
> > lets the developer retrieve the idle time of the system, but also being
> > notified upon reaching certain idle times or when the system goes back
> > from an idle state.
> >
> > The good:
> >  - Uses XSync where possible and features intelligent polling for maximum
> > efficiency and performance
> >  - Multiplatform, already tested and working on Windows and Linux (both
> > with XSS and XSync)
> >  - Features an example that covers the core functionalities
> >
> > The bad:
> >  - The mac code was copied/pasted from Kopete and needs testing.
> >
> > I'd like to move it to kdelibs. Many applications, such as RSIBreak,
> > powerdevil, konversation and ktimetracker have already interest in using
> > it. Hopefully Kopete & friends will switch to it as well.
> >
> > Also, there are no HAVE_X* macros in cmake, since I didn't want to
> > reimplement the checks for a temporary location, and they're all set to
> > 1. I will the #cmakedefines when KIdleTime will be in its final location.
>
> Nice to see you working that fast!

Thanks :)

> Some small things i've found:
> 	* Any reason KIdleTime::idleTime is not const?

Me being stupid, will fix that

> 	* The widget/QTimer based poller seems a bit too resource intensive, do we
> really need it given all the other kind of pollers that seem to be
> available?

It is not that resource intensive, since it actually polls just on specific
intervals and uses event filtering to catch the resuming from idle event, but
in any case it's just a fallback on systems where XSync is not available.

> * AbstractSystemPoller(QObject *parent) seems a bit not correct
> not passing the parent to the QWidget constructor.

Correct as well, will fix that

> Albert

Thanks for taking a look!

--