KDE browser work team

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Jul 2 09:47:23 BST 2009

On Wednesday 01 of July 2009, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> [1] Adam Treat has worked on the Webkit KPart, and complains that Konqueror
> is much too much tied to the API of KHTML, and proposes to push KDE
> integration of Arora as this browser is modeled around Webkit. (My fear
> continues that we lose a unique selling point if our swiss knife Konqueror
> is not anymore the default web browser. It was the reason why many of us
> started to use KDE at the turn of the millenium. But that's a whole other
> story, and I might be misguided by my emotions in this regard.)

 If Arora becomes a more popular KDE browser than Konqueror, will there be
actually still any major use for KParts? My biggest problem with quickly
dismissing Konqueror is that a lot of work has been invested into it, and you
don't often noticed that until you start missing things. Konqueror used to
have only the very simple image viewer part that was annoying to use, until
the Gwenview KPart came (and in KDE4 it's not what it used to be, since KDE3
Gwenview was scrapped for KDE4). How long did it take until most people
stopped complaining about Plasma, two years (and I still run into things here
and there I wish I had the time to do something about)? And so on. Do we want
to repeat that with the webbrowser?

 Moreover, I don't know Konqueror very well, but could somebody point out how
Konqueror is tied to KHTML? I thought Konqueror was mostly a shell that
didn't care that much about what the part does. Grepping the sources for
KHTML doesn't show anything interesting. There is KParts::BrowserExtension
used a lot, but I don't see anything overly complex there. So where is all
the deep integration with KHTML?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz