KDE browser work team

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Thu Jul 2 14:42:31 BST 2009

On Thursday 02 July 2009 04:47:23 am Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  If Arora becomes a more popular KDE browser than Konqueror, will there be
> actually still any major use for KParts? My biggest problem with quickly
> dismissing Konqueror is that a lot of work has been invested into it, and
> you don't often noticed that until you start missing things. Konqueror used
> to have only the very simple image viewer part that was annoying to use,
> until the Gwenview KPart came (and in KDE4 it's not what it used to be,
> since KDE3 Gwenview was scrapped for KDE4). How long did it take until most
> people stopped complaining about Plasma, two years (and I still run into
> things here and there I wish I had the time to do something about)? And so
> on. Do we want to repeat that with the webbrowser?

Again, I'm not pushing for anything.  If people like and want to use Arora,
then I don't see any problem with that.  If Arora popularity grows to become
more and more popular amongst KDE users through natural growth and choice,
then what have you lost?

>  Moreover, I don't know Konqueror very well, but could somebody point out
> how Konqueror is tied to KHTML? I thought Konqueror was mostly a shell that
> didn't care that much about what the part does. Grepping the sources for
> KHTML doesn't show anything interesting. There is KParts::BrowserExtension
> used a lot, but I don't see anything overly complex there. So where is all
> the deep integration with KHTML?

Try looking at the settings for one.  That is all heavily tied to KHTML.

Cheers,

Adam