Fate vs Bugzilla for feature tracking

Marc Jackson marcj.lcd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 09:02:21 GMT 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Matt Rogers <mattr at kde.org> wrote:
> hello =)
>
> after a few weeks of (patient :) consultation with the Suse team working on
> Fate, i just blogged about the possibility of using Fate for feature
> tracking in KDE. you can read about it here:
>
>       http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/01/do-you-believe-in-fate.html
>

> so i won't bother repeating it all over again in this email.
>
> it would be good if we could discuss this issue. i'm not really convinced
> personally about whether Fate is The Solution for us or not, but i'm also
> really unsatisfied with Bugzilla-as-feature-coordinator.
>
> discuss! =)

I have used a very good issue tracking system that several opensource
projects use
called Jira from a company in Australia called Atlassian.  They provide it
for use by
opensource projects.  I used it in my previous job for all issue tracking in
Development at Integrated Research
including bugs, features requests and requests for systems admin tasks in
the development labs.

just a thought - good to keep an open mind - see what is available.

It is relatively easy to setup needs a JRE and a dbms, a trial version is
available to have
a look at - it has a configurable workflow, good at keeping all relevant
attachments/documents
together with the item, sending emails.

--
Marc Jackson