Fate vs Bugzilla for feature tracking

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jan 23 07:49:21 GMT 2009

On Friday 23 January 2009, Josef Spillner wrote:
> That's a noble stance, but let's not forget that there are several
> well-known services around KDE whose owners have promised _for years_ to
> open-source it and nothing has happened so far.

precisely why i'm not interested in engaging with Launchpad until appropriate
licensing has been secured.

> Such statements can backfire quickly and give us bad PR, so while I'm not
> happy with the slowness of Canonical, we have our own share of issues in
> that regard and we should solve them first before doing finger-pointing.

it's not finger pointing, it's simply limiting the extent to which we rely on
non-Free software where Free software alternatives exist.

i have no issues with Canonical keeping Launchpad proprietary. it's their
software, their work, their choice.

and yes, they have been asked numerous times by many people to open it sooner
rather than later. this is not a case of them not unaware of the implications
of it being proprietary. it's a rational, conscious decision made on their
part. so be it. *shrug*

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se