Fate vs Bugzilla for feature tracking

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jan 23 03:37:01 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 21 January 2009, Matt Rogers wrote:
> I have yet to see anything concrete from you (or anybody else except lemma)
> regarding things that would make Bugzilla easier for them or their group

i've actually shared a few things in the past with you, but i know how easy it
is to lose things on irc and this is certainly a better forum. so, noting that
i'm a believer in process and think that the projects that have some internal
process for coordination tend to do better, here goes my brain dump:

for me "must haves for true usefulness" are:

* proper comment threading

* ability to easily mix things like screenshots right into the comments areas;
very important for brainstorming

* ability to delete comments and close reports permanently

* ability to categorize accounts: unknown user, user with demonstrated track
record, commiter, project lead, downstream, etc.

* ability to rank the importance of a report (not vote on it! i don't care if
you put 20 votes into a shared pool, i want to know if it's a 1 or a 10 for
*you*), and have those rankings segregated / weighted by account
categorization

* ability to view lists of reports based on user account; this would allow us
to use bugs.kde.org as a dev communication tool for things like patches. right
now, it's completely unuseful for that because all bugs go into one place and
so we get a mess of user, downstream and contributor reports.

* ability to have developer discussion of a report in a separate thread from
user input. it's madenning to not be able to have peer discussions without
being interupted by random joe user who stops by to share his brilliance.

the "probably already doable but currently clumsy":

* ability to mark, as a project committer only!, a feature for acceptance and
have that feed into a feature plan report. from that report, i should be able
to defer features to the next release and otherwise do simple feature plan
managemet

* ability to mark, as a distro or other blessed downstream entity, items as
must haves along with their personal "useful by" date (for a distro that would
probably be the next version release date); i should then be able to view
these as separate reports from everything else.

the "would be awesome, but not critical":

* more structured input form for reports, and different ones for features vs
defects. i want use cases for features, and reproduction steps for bugs, e.g.

* ability to comment patches ala review board

* rss feeds; right now we use mailing lists and they are ok-ish but clumsy

* speed: both in response times but also in the UI workflow; for me as a
developer, a decently designed rich client would be infinitely better than a
web browser for this

* ability to annotate with amount of expected work effort for an item (skill
level and time?) to aid in selection of items for others (e.g. new devs coming
in, sort of like the JJ: thing) but also to help project leads plan a release
out without being unrealistic ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se