Application version numbers

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Thu Jan 22 13:19:08 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 11:49:41 pm John Tapsell wrote:
> Is it possible to have an application version just simply be the
> version number of KDE?
>
> The version numbers tend to be confusing.  For example, kate is
> released with each KDE release.  It follows the KDE releases exactly,
> so shouldn't the kate version be simply the KDE release version?
>
> Instead kate is at version 3.1.3, while KDE is at version 4.1.3.
> It makes bug reporting kinda confusing.  If I say that I have a
> problem with kate 3, people generally think that I mean the version of
> kate that came with KDE3..  And Konsole is at version 2.1.

Coincidentally, just the other day I created a kdepim-version.h
for kdepim apps to use which contains a version string matched
to the kdelibs version that it is released against.

currently it says
#define KDEPIM_VERSION "4.3.0 pre"

Someone needs to remember to update that string for every release though.
I'm using this macro in KOrganizer and KonsoleKalendar.  The KOrganizer
policy has always been to match against the kdelibs release.