Application version numbers

Dominik Haumann dhdev at gmx.de
Thu Jan 22 10:38:30 GMT 2009

On Thursday 22 January 2009, John Tapsell wrote:
> 2009/1/22 Dominik Haumann <dhdev at gmx.de>:
> > On Thursday 22 January 2009, John Tapsell wrote:
> >> Is it possible to have an application version just simply be the
> >> version number of KDE?
> >>
> >> The version numbers tend to be confusing.  For example, kate is
> >> released with each KDE release.  It follows the KDE releases exactly,
> >> so shouldn't the kate version be simply the KDE release version?
> >>
> >> Instead kate is at version 3.1.3, while KDE is at version 4.1.3.
> >> It makes bug reporting kinda confusing.  If I say that I have a
> >> problem with kate 3, people generally think that I mean the version of
> >> kate that came with KDE3..  And Konsole is at version 2.1.
> >
> > We had that discussion on kwrite-devel recently as well, but the
> > general consense is that we won't increase the Kate and KatePart
> > version. If you talk about Kate3, just say "Kate in KDE4" (that what I
> > do) and everything should be clear.
>
> Don't suppose you remember the reason for this?

Probably I should have said `no action was take` in the end ;) You can read
the thread at [1]. Technical arguments were
- version increase usually means bic changes
- questionable whether there are scripts/plugins/... that depend on the
  version (for katepart plugins this is not the case, as they depend on a
  X-KDE-Version in the .desktop file. syntax highlighting depends on it,
  but we are always backward compatible, so no problem here either)

Maybe it would be confusing for the use, as we then have Kate 3.0, 3.1 and
then suddenly 4.2, which would be confusing on e.g. [1].

I'm fine with either solution, but in the end there'll probably always be an
app where its version is != the KDE version ;)

Dominik

[1] http://kate-editor.org/downloads/syntax_highlighting
    3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 are still missing here, should be fixed soon
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.kwrite/17791/focus=17975