Fate vs Bugzilla for feature tracking

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jan 21 23:48:08 GMT 2009

On 21.01.09 17:18:40, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 January 2009 11:07:17 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > hello =)
> >
> > after a few weeks of (patient :) consultation with the Suse team working on
> > Fate, i just blogged about the possibility of using Fate for feature
> > tracking in KDE. you can read about it here:
> >
> > 	http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/01/do-you-believe-in-fate.html
> >
> > so i won't bother repeating it all over again in this email.
> >
> > it would be good if we could discuss this issue. i'm not really convinced
> > personally about whether Fate is The Solution for us or not, but i'm also
> > really unsatisfied with Bugzilla-as-feature-coordinator.
> >
> > discuss! =)
>
> I have yet to see anything concrete from you (or anybody else except lemma)
> regarding things that would make Bugzilla easier for them or their group
> (other than your s/wishlist/feature request/ priority change that i royally
> screwed up and have yet to redo). If you know what you want, I can make it
> happen, we don't have to worry about another system, everybody's happy.
>
> Bugzilla 3.x and later have a few more features that we're not taking
> advantage. For those people that want an overview of the new features, please
> let me know, and I can find you on IRC and walk you through them. Perhaps some
> of the issues are already covered.
>
> I am interested in actively making bugzilla better for us, provided that
> people actually tell me (via the bugs.kde.org product on b.k.o or via email)

The only thing I can currently imagine that could be missing (didn't
test as I didn't want to spam any bugreport) is indentation for comments
according to the quotation. The interface allows to reply to a specific
comment and adds a proper quote of the comment into the reply box, but
I'm not sure it also indents the reply under the original comment so the
threading is clearly visible.

Maybe having image attachments inline with the comment would be nice for
mockups and stuff like that.

Other than that I currently can't see anything that I personally miss
for feature tracking. Things that I want to do:

- choose the right component/subcomponent
- if I start working assign it to me
- discussion as above
- tag for which version I want to do a feature (doable via target or via
  the version)
- put in a priority

In fact I'd remove something: The large amount of severities. I don't
think its overly useful to have more than 4: critical, major minor for
bugs and one for wishlists. The priority should be used for major and
minor to do further grouping of "what should be done first".

Andreas

--
Truth will out this morning.  (Which may really mess things up.)