Fate vs Bugzilla for feature tracking

Michael Leupold lemma at confuego.org
Wed Jan 21 20:42:48 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 20:58:38 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 January 2009, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > - I'm not sure using a different tool (and a new tool) for feature
> > tracking is a good idea, and...
> i'd love to have One Tool To Rule Them All as well.
> > - how would we deal with changing something reported a bug to be a
> > feature request and vice-versa? We have a track record about it. ;)
> there is some basic bugzilla support in Fate right now, but i think we'd
> really need a "click here to transfer to Fate" button.
>
> again, one tool would obviously make this easier. which means either
> imroving bugzilla's feature workflow immensely, for finding something new
> that does both bugs and features well.
>
> i don't know which is easier or more realistic to accomplish.

I don't really have strong preferences to either tool.
But I recently did some work on Bugzilla and without having a lot of previous
experience (not even Perl), I managed to dive into it straight away. I think
it's pretty well structured and easily extensible.

So extending Bugzilla might be worth investigating as long as we know which
features we want and how the workflow should look like. (Note: I'm not saying
we can make it what we want it to be, just that the chances aren't that bad
:)).

Regards,
Michael