Squeezing "Show Keyboard Status" indicator into KDE 4.2

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Jan 5 16:37:46 GMT 2009

On Monday 05 January 2009 16:47:22 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > That said, I've been thinking if the release schedule policy for
> > kdeplasma- addons shouldn't be relaxed. I don't see any real problems for
> > reviewed and tested code to move there, even after the rest of KDE is
> > frozen -- but until further notice, it's subject to freeze.
>
> I really don't see why kdeplasma-addons should be different from the rest
> of KDE.

Maybe not kdeplasma-addons, but it'd surely be nice to have a way to release
applets in between cycles, a bit like extragear. What I don't like about just
dropping plasmoids (or in general, plasma addons) into extragear is that it's
small pieces cluttering up extragear, and that it puts extra burden on the
packagers (and we've already heard that it's hard to get distros to pick up
individual applets). And it adds another module to those that I'd usually want
for working on plasma (kdelibs, kdebase, kdeplasma-addons, playground/plasma
and kdeartwork right now).

So there are a couple of options for those "out of cycle plasmoids":
- So create its own module (kdeplasma-out-of-cycle-addons)?
- Put them into kdeplasma-addons and live with lacking translation
- Put them into extragear and clutter it up that way
- Keep in playground and wait for 6 months until release

Am I missing something?
--
sebas