Squeezing "Show Keyboard Status" indicator into KDE 4.2

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Jan 5 17:26:20 GMT 2009

A Dilluns 05 Gener 2009, Sebastian Kügler va escriure:
> On Monday 05 January 2009 16:47:22 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > That said, I've been thinking if the release schedule policy for
> > > kdeplasma- addons shouldn't be relaxed. I don't see any real problems
> > > for reviewed and tested code to move there, even after the rest of KDE
> > > is frozen -- but until further notice, it's subject to freeze.
> >
> > I really don't see why kdeplasma-addons should be different from the rest
> > of KDE.
>
> Maybe not kdeplasma-addons, but it'd surely be nice to have a way to
> release applets in between cycles, a bit like extragear. What I don't like
> about just dropping plasmoids (or in general, plasma addons) into extragear
> is that it's small pieces cluttering up extragear, and that it puts extra
> burden on the packagers (and we've already heard that it's hard to get
> distros to pick up individual applets). And it adds another module to those
> that I'd usually want for working on plasma (kdelibs, kdebase,
> kdeplasma-addons, playground/plasma and kdeartwork right now).
>
> So there are a couple of options for those "out of cycle plasmoids":
> - So create its own module (kdeplasma-out-of-cycle-addons)?

Eh? when is kdeplasma-out-of-cycle-addons released? It surely needs to have
a "release schedule" on its own so it can't be out-of-cycle at all, maybe
more like kdeplasma-very-short-cycle-addons but are you going to be the one
that packages/releases kdeplasma-very-short-cycle-addons each ¿month?

> - Put them into kdeplasma-addons and live with lacking translation

This lack of consideration for translations makes me sad.

Translations should be an integral part of the process, not an afterthough.

Translators do a very important job to make sure our products are available to
a wide range of users. Treating them as second citizens saying missing
translations are ok is not a good idea.

> - Put them into extragear and clutter it up that way

Extragear is there for those:
 * Specialized programs that don't belong to core modules
 * Programs that don't want to follow the official KDE release schedule

For me it's obvious that applets that were not done when they should have been
to enter kdeplasma-addons belong into extragear. Note that releasing them in
extragear without any time for translators to catch up is also a bad idea in
my opinion, but in this case is the applet coder that misconsiders
translators work, not the whole KDE.

Albert