Squeezing "Show Keyboard Status" indicator into KDE 4.2

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Jan 5 16:58:10 GMT 2009

Am Montag, 5. Januar 2009, um 17:37 Uhr, schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> On Monday 05 January 2009 17:00:15 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Am Montag, 5. Januar 2009, um 16:47 Uhr, schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> > > A Dilluns 05 Gener 2009, Sebastian Kügler va escriure:
> > >
> > > I really don't see why kdeplasma-addons should be different from the
> > > rest of KDE.
> >
> > Every mother loves her child more than others, and sometimes gets weak ;)
>
> I'm not arguing about my own code.

Just considered you one of the Plasma mothers ;)

> I've just seen two very similar cases in
> the last two weeks, and I see others coming up as well (namely those that
> don't want to wait 6 months until they can release an otherwise working
> plasmoid).

So please let's abstract this to a general problem and not limit it to
Plasma. :)
Think also of KIO slaves, screensaver plugins, Kate syntax descriptions, file
type descriptions, game styles, etc., all those little modules/plugins.

The question is: How can we help with a quicker release of these?

> > I agree with Albert. There is always extragear for out-of-release-cycle
> > programs. Also think of translations and artwork.
>
> How would artwork be an issue?

Well, in theory some might want to maintain a different artwork set. Due to
* cultural needs (symbols meanings)
* accessibility (colors, shapes)
* or just aesthetics.
There is noone doing this currently AFAIK, sure. But it might be better to
prepare for the possibility, especially for the accessibility variant.

Cheers
Friedrich
--
Okteta - KDE 4 Hex Editor - http://utils.kde.org/projects/okteta