Freeze exemption for PA integration into Phonon

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Sat Dec 5 21:13:16 GMT 2009

Am Saturday 05 December 2009 schrieb Colin Guthrie:
> I don't know if you've been following but gstreamer backend has had some
> attention in kdesupport of late.
This is not so much on the phonon backend, i had the same impression with
songbird (i was only looking around ;-)

gstreamer has about 10x the cpu load of xine/mplayer and it sounds just "bad"
(not as transparent as either xine or mplayer -no, no pp- and occsionally
clicks and notches like it has timing/sync trouble - maybe related to the poor
performance? - felt like end 90ies when sound just was bad on linux)

The bad thing atm. about the mplayer backend is that it cannot proceed tracks
in amarok, so xine is the backend to go for.

I'm not religious, but as long as at least the gstreamer sound isn't better
(read: "acceptable"), it remains no option - no matter if the principle design
is good or not
...and to become a real candidate it should at least be not that imperformant
;-P

Cheers