Freeze exemption for PA integration into Phonon

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Dec 5 16:09:49 GMT 2009

On Saturday, 2009-12-05, Thomas Lübking wrote:
> Am Saturday 05 December 2009 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > Since Tobias wrote he builds kdesupport, I would have assumed this means
> > building Qt without Phonon.
> > But I see that indeed the --no-phonon option is missing from the
> >  recommended configure command in README.kde-qt (but I haven't updated
> > this recently).
>
> nope, not recommanded (plus unfortunately not everyone reads README!s ;-)

True, but it should be part of the recommendation for kde-qt builds.
Anyone is free to ignore recommendations but at least those who care should be
made aware of them.

> > Anyway, wouldn't you still get sound in e.g. Arora since you have Phonon
> >  after installing it from kdesupport? (e.g. installing into the same
> >  prefix?)
>
> Through external plugins (flash...) sure ;-)
> Through QtWebkit after building Qt w/o phonon? (like <embed
>  src="ding.wav"/>)
>
> Not the last time i tried. (As QtWebkit was compiled w/o phonon support,
>  but I run a double phonon installation since quite some time, so in fact
>  webkit might meanwhile somehow load it as plugin when detecting it at
>  runtime, but i doubt this)

My understanding is that Phonon is a shared lib so you don't need it at build
time.
The interfaces are source and binary compatible so QtWebKit can safely use the
headers of the Qt sources during build. The runtime linker will then resolve
the symbols by taking the library built from kdesupport.

It is basically an implicit plugin.

Or build but not install Phonon's libraries.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring