Nepomuk as hard dependency in future?

Till Adam adam at kde.org
Wed Dec 2 09:53:09 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 02 December 2009 09:34:20 Alexis Ménard wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Tobias Koenig <tokoe at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 09:59:17PM +0100, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > On Tuesday 20 October 2009, Volker Krause wrote:
> >
> > Hej,

> > > We didn't have a real conclusion here.
> > > So nepomuk stays optional for KDE 4.4 ?
> >
> > We need a hard dependency of nepomuk for kdepim in KDE 4.4,
> > otherwise some important parts of Akonadi won't work as expected
> > which will cast a damning light on Akonadi and the freshly ported
> > applications... So please mark it as hard dependency finally!
> >
> > Ciao,
> > Tobias

> :(
>
> Rha again dependencies that we will need to compile by hand on embedded
> platform like maemo. They don't ship redland, neither raptor packages...
>
> But it's nice for desktop though...

We (KDAB's KDE team) will be working to bring all of that infrastructure to
Maemo and Windows CE, as part of our work on a mobile version of Akonadi. Of
course we will strive to get as many of the dependencies as we can upstream
into Maemo. I'm pretty sure that a lot of it is useful and desirable by other
Maemo applications anyhow. This project will ramp up towards the end of this
year and continue throughout 2010.

This one project won't solve all problems with kdelibs being big in terms of
RAM and all the various helper processes, with lots of external dependencies,
etc., but at least I can tell you that some skilled and dedicated folks will
be attacking this problem space full-time and head-on soon. :)

Till

--
KDAB - Proud Patron of KDE