kde-qt branches after 4.6.0 release

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Dec 1 16:49:11 GMT 2009

Em Terça-feira 01 Dezembro 2009, às 16:03:07, David Faure escreveu:
> Yeah I think Thiago is pretty unfair here.
> We can't be blamed for asking for convenience if we didn't know it would
>  have bad consequences on packagers. Besides I don't see what's hard about
>  extracting patches. Or why packagers would want to take most unofficial
>  patches anyway.

I'm pretty sure I voiced concerns on a past thread on kde-core-devel.

The problem is that, by using merges, Git creates commits that cannot be
represented as patches. They are 3-way diffs, due to the non-linear history. In
other words, you must apply some patches, then revert them all, apply some
others, then merge the two histories.

This does not work with a patch sequence. Period.

In any case, the patches/* branches are also no longer updated. They were up-
to-date when they were created, but because of the merges and conflict
resolution done in master and 4.6-stable-patched, they no longer reflect
reality.

I've just remembered that patch 0274 is no longer needed (it's applied in
4.6), so I deleted the branch. However, I have no clue anymore whether the
other branches are still valid.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358